Sunday 31 July 2016

Book Review - Made You Up By Francesca Zappia

Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers Inc

Release Date: 18 June 2015

Pages: 448

Summary: Made You Up is the story of Alex, a high school senior who is unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. Alex fights a daily battle to figure out what's real and what isn't. She wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She's pretty optimistic about her chances until she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She's not prepared for normal. Can she trust herself? Can we trust her?

My Thoughts: I honestly thought this book was spectacular. It was written so well and it often left you questioning what was real and what was a hallucination. This really added to the experience of reading the novel and overall if was just so fascinating and really made you think.

Alex was such a brilliant main character and she was so strong considering everything she had to dealt with in her everyday life. Her struggle felt so real and it was so easy to connect with her. I really liked her on the whole too, her personality was great and she was quite funny at times too!

Her relationship with Miles was lovely and it just developed slowly over the course of the book. The rest of the characters also made the book a great deal more interesting and added to the realness of the story.

There was also a kind of strange plot going on in the background and it really created more suspense to the novel. Again, the fact that you didn't know if Alex was reliable or not on what she sees make it so complicated but wonderful at the same time.

Made You Up is one of the best books I've read this year. It was amazing and it made me feel furious, upset and happy all at the same time! This is a must read for you guys.

Have any of you already read this book? Tell me what you thought in the comments!









3 comments:

  1. Hi Leah, this is Sarah, I am starting in 1st year in September. Your reviews are very good and descriptive. "Made You Up" sounds very interesting. Looking forward to more of your reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah!! Thanks for looking at my blog. I'm so happy you like my reviews. Made You Up is a really amazing novel and tell me if you ever decide to read it!! I really appreciate your comment :) Comment again if you find something else that interests you or if you're looking for a recommendation! ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Leah. Read a few of your reviews on Pauline's recommendation and was very impressed! I thought this one in particular deserved a comment, very well written, particularly your summary of the story. Sounds really interesting and I'll give it a read if I ever get through the 20 books stacked beside my bed.

    Keep it up!

    Yo cuz,
    Nevan

    ReplyDelete