Tuesday 23 August 2016

Book Review - The Crown By Kiera Cass

The Crown by Kiera Cass

Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers

Release Date: 19 May 2016

Pages: 352

Summary: The Selection continues in The Crown and Eadlyn doesn't think she can find a real partner among the Selection's thirty-five suitors, let alone true love. But sometimes your heart can surprise you and now Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more difficult - and more important - than she ever expected.

My Thoughts: The Crown was a major step up from The Heir. I went into it thinking that I just wanted to get it over with but I ended up loving it. The whole charm of the story was back and it flowed so much better than the previous book. Kiera Cass' writing is so engrossing and I'm glad that came through in The Crown. I was hoping she would make up for The Heir in the finale of the series and she really did!

Eadlyn also became much more likable which was unexpected. I think there was a point at the end of The Heir that just shocked her back into reality. She turned into an understanding and more open character and her development was lovely to see. I also think she came to understand herself more too over the course of this book. Overall I really did come to like her and enjoy her personality in The Crown.

I also want to bring up America and Maxon like I did in my review for The Heir. Yes, I thought that America's personality came into play at times in The Crown but still not enough. The old connection was definitely not there and rarely I got that 'spark' from her that was always there in the first three novels. As I said before, just because she became a bit of a minor character in the last two books it was no reason to cast aside her entire self. Same with Maxon, there was barely any clue that he was the same person as in the original Selection. I was still relatively satisfied with the occasional conversation or joke that passed between the two characters but I feel as if their voices got lost along the way.

I also think Eadlyn's relationship with the boys improved. As she became more open to dates and getting to know the Selected it gave me a better insight to the personalities of the individuals. It was hard to kind of pick one of them who might have been the winner of the Selection and I was constantly switching over who it could be! I loved all the boys in the Elite and the ending was so brilliantly done and tied up.

All I'd love now is another novella book maybe talking about their future, their kids and maybe, like the other novella bind-up, a 'Where Are They Now?' section for the boys as it would be great to know how they got on after the Selection!!

I'm very happy with how the final book in the series turned out. I'd definitely say power through The Heir and read The Crown because it's worth it! You won't regret finding out who will be part of Eadlyn's future! It really was a happily ever after kind of moment!!

Any thought you would like to share on the overall series? I'd love to hear your opinions!!






No comments:

Post a Comment